Aalu or potato contains carbohydrates which provide energy to our body. In north India it is a commonly used vegetable in all households. During Vrat or fasting people in the north of India prepare dishes with aalu as it provides energy during fasting.
Oil 2 tbsp
Turmeric power ½ tsp
Mustard seeds ¼ tsp
Green chili (chopped) 6
Onion (chopped) 1 (optional)
Ginger (chopped) 1 tsp
Salt /rock salt to taste
Coriander leaves (chopped) 1 bunch
Procedure for preparing Aalu ki Sabzi:
- Pressure cook the potato with 1tsp salt, ½ tsp turmeric powder and enough water.
- Allow the potato to cool and lightly mash the potato with the spatula .Keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan then add mustard seeds after it splutter.
- Add onions, ginger and green chilies stir fry till the onions turn pinkish.
- Add the mashed potato and cook on low flame for 5 minutes stirring it continuously, turn off the flame.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
Aalu ki sabzi is ready. It can be served with rotis, puris etc.
- During vart or fasting use rock salt for the recipe.
- Use of onion can be avoided during the vrat or fasting.