Ada Pradhaman is a Malabar sweet dish famous for its unique aroma and mouth watering taste. This payasam is a must have dish during Onam festival in Kerala and important occasions.
1/2 Cup Ada(available in ready to cook packs)
4 Green cardamoms
1/2 tbsp dry ginger ( Sonti / Chuk)
1/4 Cup pure ghee
1/2 cup Cashewnuts
2 tbsp Raisins ( Kishmish)
¼ cup Sabudhana( white balls) soak in water and cook till they are transparent.
1 ½ Cups coconut (grated)
1 Cup jaggery (powdered into fine powder)
Procedure of Ada Pradhaman :
Heat 2 tbsp ghee and fry ada.
- Grind cardamoms and dry ginger together to a fine powder, and place aside
- Heat 2 tbsp ghee and saute the cashewnuts and raisins until light brown
- Immerse coconut in one cup lukewarm water, grind and extract thick milk.
- Repeat the process, make a second extract and set aside.
- Crush jaggery to a fine powder, keep it aside.
- To one cup of water add the second extract of coconut milk . Add ada and when it starts boiling lower the flame.
- After 10 mins check if ada has cooked.Adashould remain smooth but hold its shape.
- Add jaggery with it and continue cooking until it thickens.(Suggested to boil jaggery separately with ¼ cup of water. This will ensure the residue is filtered)
- Heat the remaining ghee and add this to the pradhaman. Add cooked sabudhana.
- Mix the first extract of coconut milk and the fried dry fruits with it, stir well and heat thoroughly.
- Sprinkle with the cardamom powder and dry ginger powder.
- Adapradhaman /Adapayasam is ready to serve.