Aval/ Poha/ Rice Flakes Kesari is a delicious, easy and quick sweet recipe which is prepared using aval/ poha/ rice flakes, milk and sugar. Aval kesari is mainly prepared on Krishnashtami as “Aval is one of the favorite food of Lord Krishna”.
Let’s go thru the process of preparing Aval Kesari:
Aval/ Poha/ Rice Flakes 1 cup
Sugar 1 cup
Ghee 2 tbsp
Water 1 cup
Milk 1 cup
Cashew nuts 6
Cardamom powder ½ tsp
Yellow food color 3 pinch
Procedure for preparing Aval Kesari:
- Heat ghee in a pan add to it broken cashew nuts and raisins. Fry till the cashew nuts are light brown in color and the raisins turn fluffy. Put off the flame. Keep them aside.
- In the same pan add poha and fry for 2 – 3 minutes on low to medium flame, keep stirring continuously. Put off the flame.
- Allow the poha to cool and then grind it into a coarse powder.
- Meanwhile add milk and water in a vessel and boil it. Once it starts boiling add coarse poha powder and mix well. Cook for 3 – 4 minutes on low flame by closing the lid.
- Now add sugar, cardamom powder and yellow food color and mix well. Stir continuously till the sugar melts and poha mixture thickens. Add 1 tsp of ghee and mix well. Cook till the poha mixture leaves the sides of pan. Put off the flame.
- Garnish aval/ poha kesari with cashew nuts and raisins.
Aval/ Poha Kesari is ready.
- Grinding poha is optional you can add milk and water to the fried poha and close the lid and cook.
Do refer for more Aval/ Poha/ Rice Flakes recipes: