Baigan ka bharta is a popular side dish inNorth India. It can be taken along with hot rice and chapathi too.
2 medium Baigan (eggplant / brinjal)
1 cup Cooked green peas
2 medium size finely chopped onions
2 Finely chopped tomatoes
2 Finely chopped green chilli
1 tsp Red chilli powder
1 tsp Garam Masala Powder
1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
6 tbsp Vegetable oil
Salt to taste
1 stem curry leaf
Chopped green coriander leaves for garnishing
Procedure of Baigan ka Bharta :
- Apply oil lightly onto the baigan (eggplant) and roast it on a gas burner over medium heat.
- Turn the baigan frequently upside down, until fully roasted.
- Hold the roasted baigan under cold running water or in a bowl full of water. Once cool , peel off the blackened skin.
- Mash the baigan flesh.
- Heat oil in a pan / kadhai . Add curry leaf, green chilli and onion. Fry over medium heat until light golden brown.
- Add red chilli powder, turmeric powder, garam masala and salt and stir.
- Add tomatoes and cook until tender.
- Add green peas and mashed baigan . Stir well. Fry the baigan bhartha for 5-7 minutes over medium heat.
- Garnish the baigan bharta with green coriander leaves and serve hot.