Banana Flower is rich in many vital nutrients and minerals such as Vitamin A and Vitamin C that is helpful in keeping your body fit and healthy. It is a storehouse of nutrition and immunity enhancer properties.
Today I am posting Banana Flower Vada using a banana flower, urad dal and spices. It is a tasty and healthy snack.
Banana flower/ blossom 3 cups
Urad dal 1 cup
Green chilies 8
Red chili powder ½ tsp
Turmeric powder ¼ tsp
Jeera/cumin seeds 1 tsp
Ginger 1” inch piece
Rice flour (optional) 2 tsp
Coriander leaves 3 tbsp
Salt to taste
Oil for deep frying
Procedure for preparing Banana Flower Vada:
- Chop green chilies, ginger, coriander leaves and onions.
- Wash and soak urad dal for 2 – 3 hours.
- Then grind urad dal with 2 tsp of water. It should be of medu vada consistency.
- Meanwhile, cut the banana flower into salted water to avoid discoloration and soak for 25 minutes.
- Drain the banana flower and squeeze well to remove the water.
- In a large bowl add the urad dal batter, squeezed banana flower, chopped green chilies, ginger, onions, coriander leaves, red chili powder, turmeric powder, jeera and salt and mix well. The batter should be of medu vada consistency (if U feel that the batter is little watery than U can use 2 tsp of rice flour and mix well with the batter).
- Heat oil in a deep pan for deep frying.
- Wet your palm with little water. Then take out a small ball out of the dough and put in the center of your palm and flatten it with your other palm (like vada shape).
- When the oil is heated up reduce the flame and slowly put the vadas into the heated oil.
- Fry the vadas on both sides till golden brown.
Spicy and tasty Banana Flower / Blossom vada is ready. Serve with coconut chutney or tomato ketchup.
Do refer for more Banana Flower recipes: