Beef Cutlet is a popular Kerala dish . It can be used as a snack or side dish during festival meals. Diwali . It is relished in South India also.
Beef – 1 kg (boneless)
Potato – 3 – 4 nos (boiled and mashed)
Onion(big) – 1 – 2 nos , finely diced
Green chillies – 4 nos, finely chopped
Ginger – 1 inch piece, finely chopped
Garlic pods – 6 nos, finely chopped
Egg – 2 to 3 nos (use egg white only )
Salt – to taste
Oil for frying
Finely chopped Coriander leaves and curry leaves for garnishing the mix
Chilli powder – 4 tbsp
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Coriander powder – 1 tbsp
Garam masala powder – 2 1/2 tsp
Pepper – 1 tsp
Procedure of Beef Cutlet ( Kerala Style):
- Pressure cook the cut, cleaned beef with salt and turmeric powder until tender . Drain all gravy and keep aside for cooling. Once cool, ground the cooked beef in the mixer.
- Heat little oil in a pan. Splutter mustard seeds. Add diced onions, chopped green chillies and saute until light brown.
- To this add the chopped ginger, garlic and curry leaves, until they are sauted well.
- Add mashed potatoes and spices and mix well, reduce flame such that it does not get stuck at base of utensil.
- Add ground beef along with coriander leaves. Maintain medium flame and keep mixing until the mixture is uniform. Add salt if needed
- Shape the mixture into oval shaped patties. Set aside
- Powder bread slices / rusk . Keep aside. Beat egg white along with little salt and pepper
- Dip the oval shaped patties into beaten egg and roll them into bread crumbs.
- Deep fry the patties in oil.
- Serve hot with tomato ketchup.!!
Note: Same recipe can be followed for chicken and meat too.