Chalimidhi is prepared during festivals and occasions like Sri Rama Navami, Ganesh Chaturthi, Durga puja etc. On Sri Rama Navami Chalimidhi is offered to God along with Panakam and Vada Pappu as neivedyam/prasadam.
Raw Rice 1 cup
Jaggery (grated) 1 cup
Coconut pieces ½ cup
Cardamom powder ¼ cup
Ghee 2 tbsp
Water ½ cup
Procedure for Preparing Chalimidhi:
- Sock rice overnight. Drain the rice and leave it to dry on a dry cloth for about 30 minutes.
- Grind the soaked rice into fine powder. Sieve the powder to remove the coarse grains and sieve again. The rice powder should have a smooth texture.
- Boil water and jaggery together till you get a very strong consistency. To know the correct consistency of jaggery solution – add a drop of the solution in a glass of water it should form like small round ball without dissolving. Put off the flame and keep it aside.
- In a pan fry the coconut pieces in 1 tbsp ghee. Keep it aside.
- In the jaggery solution add 1tbsp ghee, fried coconut pieces and gradually add in the rice powder and cardamom powder keep stirring until the mixture stops sticking to the spoon and make sure that no lumps are formed.
- Transfer the contents into a dish.