Chilakada Dumpa is the Telugu name for “Sweet Potato”. Sweet potato is an excellent food for people suffering from arthritis as it has anti-inflammatory properties. This root vegetable is also necessary for normal vision, proper bone growth, healthy skin and protection of the mucus membranes of the digestive, respiratory and urinary tracts.
Chilakada Dumpa Vankaya Pulusu is a traditional recipe from Andhra. This curry is a tangy stew prepared using sweet potato, brinjal and tamarind extract. This curry goes well with steaming rice. Let’s go thru the process –
Chilakada dumpa (sweet potato) 1
Vankaya (brinjal) 2
Red chili powder 1 tsp
Turmeric powder ½ tsp
Coriander leaves 2 tbsp
Green chilies 2
Garam masala powder 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Oil 4 tsp
Procedure for preparing Chilakada Dumpa Vankaya Pulusu:
- Soak tamarind in ½ cup of water.
- Remove the skin of chilakada dumpa (sweet potato) and cut it into round pieces and wash it.
- Wash and chop the brinjal and onions into long pieces. Slit the green chilies.
- Heat oil in a pan and fry onions, green chilies and add salt.
- Fry the sweet potato pieces and brinjal pieces. Add to it red chili powder, turmeric powder and fry for 3-4 minutes.
- Add tomato pieces and fry for 1-2 minutes.
- Add to it tamarind juice and allow it to boil and reduce the flame to low and cook for 3-4 minute. Add garam masala powder and stir well and cook for 1 minute and put off the flame.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
Chilakada Dumpa Vankaya Pulusu is ready.