Chole Palak is a curry prepared with combination of both Palak (spinach) and Chole (white chickpeas) which is prepared in North Indian Style. Chole Palak is a healthy protein-iron rich dish. Palak (spinach) is a good iron content green leave vegetable and Chole is a protein- rich food.
Let’s go thru the process of preparing Chole Palak:
White Chole/Channa/Chick Peas 1cup
Palak (Spinach) 3 cups
Butter 1 tbsp
Jeera/Cumin seeds ½ tsp
Green chillies 3 -4
Turmeric powder ½ tsp
Coriander powder ½ tsp
Garam masala powder ½ tsp
Salt to taste
Cream (top layer of milk) 2 tbsp
Procedure for preparing Chole Palak:
- Silt green chillies. Chop the onions finely.
- Wash and clean palak (spinach). Chop the palak (spinach).
- Grind the tomato into fine paste.
- Soak chole/channa overnight.
- In a pressure cooker cook the soaked chole/channa with salt and 2 cups of water till the 1st whistle and lower the flame and cook for 9- 10 minutes. Put off the flame. Allow it to cool. Drain the extra water from the cooked chole. Keep aside the water and use it later.
- Heat butter in a kadai. Add jeera and when it splutters add onion and green chillies. Fry till the onions turn little brownish. Add ginger-garlic paste and fry for 3-4 minutes on medium flame.
- Add turmeric powder, coriander powder and garam masala powder and fry for 1 minute. Add tomato paste and fry for 3-4 minutes on medium flame by stirring continuously.
- Add the chopped palak and the leftover water from cooked channa and cook for 3-4 minutes on low flame by closing the lid.
- Add cooked chole and cream and mix well, add salt if required and cook for 3-4 minutes on medium flame.
Chole Palak is ready. Serve with roti, naan, Indian bread and poori.
- You can increase the spice level according to your preference.