Coconut Halwa is a popular dessert inSouth India. It is a quickly prepared sweet.
2 cups Coconut (fresh and grated)
½ cup Rice (uncooked)
½ cup Sugar
2 tsp Ghee
¼ tsp Cardamom Powder (Elaichi)
Cashews and Raisins (for Garnishing)
Procedure of Coconut halwa :
- Wash and soak rice in enough water for 2 to 3 hours until it becomes soft.
- Grind the soaked rice and grated coconut into a very fine paste by adding some water. But do not make it too much watery.
- It should be like a smooth paste and keep this aside.
- In a non-stick pan pour sugar and add some water just enough to immerse the sugar (approximately ½ cup ). Boil the sugar solution till it becomes thick.
- Then immediately add the cardamom powder and coconut rice paste and keep stirring until it becomes thick and stick on the sides of the pan.
- Just before turning off the flame, add ghee and mix well.
- Great tasting coconut halwa is ready.
- Spread the halwa on a plate. Garnish the halwa with fried cashew / raisins in a spoon of ghee.
- Later cut into desired shapes when it becomes cool.