Coconut Rice is a South Indian rice recipe. Coconut Rice is a tasty and filling recipe. It can be packed for kid’s lunch box. There are different methods of preparing coconut rice. One of the methods is by using coconut milk for preparing coconut rice.
Today I am posting Coconut Rice prepared in pressure cooker using coconut milk.
Rice 1 cup
Coconut milk 1 ¾ cup
Green chilies 4
Ginger 2” piece
Coriander leaves 1 bunch
Cashew nuts 10
Oil 6 tsp
- Wash the rice thoroughly for 2 – 3 times and drain the water. Keep it aside.
- Grind green chilies, ginger and garlic to a coarse paste.
- Chop the onion into thin long slices.
- In a pressure cooker heat 3 tsp of oil add to it cloves, cinnamon and cardamom and fry for few seconds. Now add the onions and fry till it turns pink.
- Add the ground coarse paste and fry for 2 – 3 minutes. You get a good aroma.
- Add the rice and mix well and fry for 1 – 2 minute on low to medium flame by continuously stirring it.
- Add chopped coriander leaves and salt and sauté for 1 minute.
- Meanwhile extract 1 ¾ cup of coconut milk from ½ piece coconut grated or can use store brought coconut milk.
- Add coconut milk to the rice and mix well. Close the pressure cooker lid and cook till the rice is cooked. ( I cooked for 4 whistle and put off the flame).
- Meanwhile heat 3 tsp oil and fry separately cashew nuts and raisins. Keep them aside. In the same oil fry thin long slices of onions and fry till it turns brownish. Put off the flame.
- Open the pressure cooker lid transfer the coconut rice to a serving bowl. Garnish with fried onions, cashew nuts and raisins.
Serve the hot coconut rice as it is or with any spicy curry or Tangy Chicken Curry.
Do refer for more Rice Recipes: