Dal Kheer is a simple and easy kheer recipe which is prepared using both the green gram dal and Bengal gram dal. This Dal Kheer recipe is prepared using jaggery syrup and milk.
Today I am posting Dal Kheer with Poppy Seeds. In this Kheer i have grinded together roasted poppy seeds and grated coconut into a smooth fine paste and added it to the cooked dals and jaggery syrup and cooked for 3-4 minutes and then add milk and just boiled the kheer once. Thus enhancing the taste of Dal Kheer. It’s a superb Dal Kheer which is liked by all.
Let’s go thru the process of preparing Dal Kheer with Poppy Seeds:
Green gram dal ½ cup
Milk 1 litre
Bengal gram dal ¼ cup
Jaggery powder 1 ½ cup
Poppy seeds 4 tbsp
Cardamom 1 tsp
Coconut (grated) 1 ½ cup
Ghee 3 tsp
Cashew nuts 10
Procedure for preparing Dal Kheer with Poppy Seeds:
- In a pan lightly dry roast the poppy seeds. Allow it to cool.
- Grind the roasted poppy seeds and cardamom seeds and then add to it grated coconut and grind to a smooth paste using little milk.
- Soak Bengal gram dal in water for 1 hour.
- In a thick bottomed pan, roast the green gram dal over a low heat till light brown. Put off the flame and allow it to cool.
- In a pressure cooker add the roasted green gram dal and Bengal gram dal and add 2 ½ cups of water and cook till the 1st whistle and put off the flame and immediately remove the cooker from the heat and allow it to cool down.
- Melt jaggery in 1 ½ cup of water and strain for any impurities and keep it aside.
- Open the pressure cooker lid, add the jaggery syrup to the cooked dal and stir and cook till it starts to boil then add the ground paste and mix well and cook on low flame for 3-4 minutes. Add the milk, stir well and just give one boil, put off the flame and immediately remove the cooker from heat.
- In a pan heat ghee and add cashew nuts and fry. Add the fried cashew nuts to the dal kheer.
Delicious Dal Kheer with Poppy Seeds is ready. Serve it hot or cold.
- U can increase the sweet level of the kheer by adding more jaggery.
- After adding milk to the kheer just boil once and put off the flame and immediately remove the cooker from heat. Otherwise the kheer will curdle.