Dondakaya or Ivy Gourd is a good source of Iron, Vitamins, Minerals and dietary fibre. It prevents kidney stones, fatigue, protects the nervous system, maintains a healthy metabolism, fiber keeps the digestive tract healthy.
Today I am posting Dondakaya Pachadi or Ivy Gourd pachadi which is prepared in Telangana Style, which is served with idli, dosa, chapatti or rice.
Dondakaya / Ivy Gourd ½ kg
Oil 4 tsp
Green chilies 10 – 12
Jeera/cumin seeds 1 tsp
Tamarind small lemon – sized
Mint leaves 4 – 5
Coriander leaves 1 tbsp
Turmeric powder a pinch
Salt to taste
Oil 2 tsp
Mustard seeds 1 tsp
Urad dal 1 tsp
Channa dal 1 tsp
Dry red chili 2
Curry leaves 1 strand
Procedure for preparing Dondakaya Pachadi/ Ivy Gourd Pachadi:
- Wash and soak dondakaya in water for 10 – 15 minutes. Drain the water and dry them and trim the edges. Chop them into thin round circles.
- In a pan heat 2 tsp oil, add green chilies (slit) and fry for 2-3 minutes on medium flame then add jeera and fry for 1 minute. Put off the flame. Transfer the contents (green chilies and jeera) to a plate.
- To the remaining oil, add 2 tsp of oil in the pan and heat it again. Now add the dondakaya pieces and turmeric powder and fry on medium flame for 7 – 8 minutes. Then add garlic to it and fry for 2 – 3 minutes. Keep stirring occasionally. Put off the flame. Bring down the pan and add coriander leaves and mint leaves and stir it. Allow the contents to cool.
- When cool grind together the dondakaya pieces, garlic, green chili, jeera, tamarind, mint leaves and coriander leaves and salt to a coarse paste. Do not add water while grinding. Transfer the paste to a serving bowl.
- Heat 2 tsp oil in a pan add mustard seeds, urad dal and channa dal. When mustard seeds splutters add garlic (split), dry chili and curry leaves and fry for ½ a minute. Put off the flame. Pour the seasoning to the pachadi.
Dondakaya Pachadi is ready. It is served with idli, dosa, chapatti or rice. It stays fresh for 5 – 6 days in refrigerator.
- U can increase or decrease the spice level according to ur preference.
- Do not use water for preparing the pachadi. Otherwise the shelf life of the pachadi will be short.
- For longer shelf life refrigerate the pachadi.
Do refer other Pachadi posts: