Ela Ada is a traditional Kerala snack recipe which is served either as breakfast or evening snack. Ela Ada is steamed rice dumplings using rice flour, jaggery and coconut mixture covered with a banana leaf which gives a special aroma.
Ela Ada is a healthy snack for kids. It also an oil free recipe and also a stomach filling recipe.
Let’s go thru the process of preparing ELA ADA:
Rice flour ½ kg
Water 2 cups
Salt 1 tsp
Coconut grated 2 no’s
Jeera/cumin seeds 1 tsp
Banana leaves 10 bits
For jaggery syrup:
Jaggery 750 gm
Water 2 cups
Procedure for preparing ELA ADA:
- For jaggery syrup – In a vessel boil 2 cups of water with 750 gm of jaggery. Once the syrup is boiled strain it for any impurities.
- Once again boil the syrup, add to it grated coconut, jeera and crushed cardamom and mix well and cook until the mixture thickens. Put off the flame and keep it aside.
- In a vessel boil 2 cups of water with 1 tsp of salt. Once the water is rolling boiling add rice flour and stir it well. The rice flour has to be thoroughly mixed. Put off the flame.
- When it is still warm make a soft dough, cover it with a lid and keep it aside.
- Wash and clean the banana leaves. Place it over the flame and move it gently so that the banana leaves do not tear while folding.
- Take a banana leaf and place a small ball out of the dough in the center and gently press with your fingertips.
- If the dough is sticky, take a small bowl with water and dip your fingers in it. Then gently with your fingers spread the dough.
- Place the jaggery-coconut filling on one side and fold the other half on top of it gently.
- Place an idli cooker on the flame add 2 glasses of water and place the idli mold. Now place the Ela Ada one above the other and steam for 10 – 15 minutes. Put off the flame.
- Open the idli cooker lid. Your Ela Ada is ready.
Delicious and healthy Ela Ada is ready.
- You can increase or decrease the sweet levels according to your preference.
- You can substitute sugar for jaggery.
Do refer for more Kerala snack recipes: