In India one of our staple food is Dal Aur Chawal. Each state or region prepare the dal curry in its own style with many variations. Dal curry is a healthy recipe. It goes well with rice and also roti.
Today I am posting Gujarathi Khatti Meethi Dal Curry. In Gujarathi ‘Khatti’ means ‘sour’ and ‘Meethi’ means ‘sweet’. Thus it is a combination of sour and sweet dal curry. In this dal curry addition of jaggery gives a sweet taste, tomato gives a sour taste and addition of peanuts give a good flavour, thus making it a healthy dal recipe. It provides many of the nutrients our body needs such as protein, fat, fiber, carbohydrates, and vitamins.
Let’s go thru the process of preparing Gujarathi Khatti Meethi Dal Curry:
Tuvar dal 1 cup
Peanuts 1 tbsp
Ghee 1/2 tbsp
Mustard seeds 1/4 tsp
Cumin 1/4 tsp
Fenugreek seeds 6 – 7
Bay leaf 1
Cinnamom stick 1/4 inch piece
Dry red chillies 1
Asafoetida (hing) a pinch
Tomato (chopped finely) 1
Green chilli (slit) 1
Ginger (chopped) 1″ piece
Red chilli powder 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder a pinch
Curry leaves 5 – 8
Jaggery (grated) 2 tbsp
Salt to taste
Lime juice 1 tbsp
Coriander leaves 2 tbsp
Procedure for preparing Gujarathi Khatti Meethi Dal Curry:
1. In a pressure cooker add tuvar dal, peanuts and 2 1/2 cups of water and cook on high flame till the first whistle and reduce the flame to low and cook for 5 minutes. Put off the flame.
2. When cool open the lid of cooker and slightly mash the dal.
3. In a kadhai heat ghee add the mustard seeds, cumin and fenugreek seeds when it a splutters add bay leaf, cinnamom stick and cloves and saute for 30 seconds. Then add hing, ginger, dry red chilli, green chilli and chopped tomato and saute for 1 minute.
4. Then add red chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt and saute for 1 – 2 minutes.
5. Add the mashed dal, cooked peanuts and grated jaggery and cook for 4 – 5 minutes.
6. Add the lime juice and coriander leaves and cook till it boils. Put off the flame.
Gujarathi Khatti Meethi Dal Curry is ready to be served with rice or roti.
⦁ U can also use 2 tbsp of tamarind pulp instead of tomato.
⦁ U can increase or decrease the spice levels according to ur preference.