Gur Ka Halwa is a traditional Punjabi sweet recipe prepared during Lohiri and Baisakhi. It is prepared with semolina and jaggery. It is mostly used during cold and winter seasons. This recipe is very simple and easy to make for festivals and celebrations.
Let`s go thru the process of preparing GUR KA HALWA
Semolina 1 cup
Milk ½ cup
Red food color a pinch
Water 2 cups
Jaggery ½ cup
Cardamom powder ¾ tsp
Ghee 7 tbsp
- In a pan heat water and jaggery. Allow the jaggery to melt. Sieve the contents to remove any impurities. Keep it aside.
- In a heavy bottom pan heat ghee and add semolina fry on medium flame, stirring continuously till it attains golden brown color and is aromatic.
- Add the jaggery water , milk, cardamom powder and a pinch of red food color and mix well. Cook on medium flame stirring vigorously till the liquid evaporates and the halwa leaves the sides of the pan. (Be careful while stirring as the hot contents will splutter around). Put off the flame.
- Take the contents into serving bowls and garnish with finely chopped almonds.
Gur ka Halwa is ready to be served.
- U can increase the sweet level by adding more jaggery.
- Be careful while stirring the halwa as the hot contents splutter around.
Do refer for more Halwa recipes: