Idli Upma is a quick and easy breakfast or evening snack recipe that is prepared using leftover idlis. This is the recipe prepared by our daughter as it is one of the main recipes either for breakfast or evening snack in her hostel. It is enjoyed by almost all her hostel mates.
Idli Upma is also the favorite among kids. Do try this recipe when you have more leftover idlis and just see the results.
Leftover Idlis 8
Green chilies 2
Curry leaves 1 strand
Red chili powder ½ tsp
Garam masala powder/ ½ tsp
Chat masala powder
Tomato ketchup 2 – 3 tbsp
Lime juice 1 tbsp
Salt as needed
Oil 3 tsp
Mustard seeds ½ tsp
Cumin ½ tsp
Channa dal 1 tsp
Urad dal 1 tsp
Peanuts 2 tbsp
Coriander leaves 1 tbsp
Procedure for preparing IDLI UPMA:
- Crumble the leftover idlis and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds and cumin and allow it to crackle.
- Now add channa dal, urad dal and peanuts. Fry it for 1 – 2 minutes on medium flame.
- Add chopped onion, slit green chilies and curry leaves. Saute for 1 – 2 minutes until the onions turn transparent.
- Add salt and red chili powder and saute it.
- Add crumbled idlis and saute well.
- Add tomato ketchup and mix well.
- Add garam masala powder or chat masala powder and mix well.
- Put off the flame add lime juice and stir well.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
Yummy! Idli Upma is ready. Serve it hot.
- While preparing upma adjust salt according to your taste as idlis already have salt in it.
- Always serve idli upma hot otherwise it goes soggy.
- You can also use putunal dal instead of peanuts.