Instant Tomato Pickle is a tangy and spicy tomato pickle which is prepared instantly. It can be preserved for few months in refrigerator. It is very easy to prepare this pickle. It can be served with idli, dosa and rice. There are many variations for instant tomato pickle. Today I am posting one of the easy methods of preparing instant tomato pickle.
Tomatoes 2 kg
Red chili powder 250 gm
Garlic ½ cup
Fenugreek powder 1 tsp
Turmeric powder ½ tsp
Oil 200 ml
Channa dal 2 tsp
Dry red chilli 5 – 6
Curry leaves 4 springs
Garlic 10 – 15
Mustard (optional) 1 tsp
Jeera/cumin seeds 1 tsp
Hing 1 tsp
- Wash tomatoes and pat them dry with kitchen towel or leave them aside to dry.
- Dry roast fenugreek seeds on a low flame till it changes its color to brown. Put off the flame and allow it to cool. Grind the roasted fenugreek seeds into a fine powder.
- Chop the tomatoes. In a pan add the chopped tomatoes with salt and fry them on medium flame stirring occasionally till it becomes a thick pulp. Put off the flame and allow it to cool.
- In a grinding jar add the tomato pulp, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, garlic, roasted fenugreek seeds powder and grind into a fine paste.
- Heat oil in another pan; add mustard seeds and jeera, when it splutters. Add crushed garlic, channa dal, dry red chilies and curry leaves and fry them for 1 minute or till the garlic turns light brown. Add hing. Put off the flame. Allow it to cool.
- Now add the ground tomato paste into the oil and mix it well and leave it aside for some time. After a while u can see the oil is floating above. Taste it for salt. If we required add more salt.
Instant Tomato Pickle is ready. Store it in a clean, dry airtight jar. Refrigerate it. It stays fresh for several months.
- All ingredients should be dry and moist free.
- Oil should be completely cooled before adding the ground tomato paste.
- The jar should be clean and dry before storing the pickle.
- Always use a dry spoon to serve the pickle.
- For longer shelf life refrigerate the pickle.
Do refer for more pickle recipes: