Kadala Kappa Puzhukku is a traditional recipe of Kerala. Different varieties of Puzhukku are prepared and one of them is Kadala Kappa Puzhukku. This is a simple and tasty preparation of chickpeas (kadala) and kappa (tapioca) with coconut gravy.
Kadala Kappa Puzhukku is also very nutritious curry as chickpeas (kadala) have high protein, fiber content and also contains several key vitamins and minerals that are beneficial for human health. Tapioca is rich source of dietary fiber, good for cholesterol, proteins and vitamins.
Let’s go thru the ingredients and procedure for preparing Kadala Kappa Puzhukku:
Tapioca (Kappa) 2 medium-sized
Chickpeas (Kadala) ½ cup
Turmeric powder ½ tsp
Red chilies powder ½ tsp
Salt to taste
Coconut grated 1 cup
Black pepper 10
Coconut oil 3tsp
Mustard seeds 1 tsp
Cumin ½ tsp
Dry red chilies 2
Curry leaves 1 strand
Garlic 8 cloves
Procedure for preparing Kadala Kappa Puzhukku:
- Soak chickpeas (kadala) in water for overnight.
- In a pressure cooker, cook chickpeas (kadala) with enough water, salt and ¼ tsp turmeric powder till the first whistle and lower the flame and cook for 10 minutes. Put off the flame and allow it to cool.
- Drain the water of chickpeas (kadala) and stock it for further use.
- Peel and cut the tapioca into pieces.
- Cook the tapioca in pressure cooker with the stocked water of cooked chickpeas by adding little salt, ¼ tsp turmeric powder and ½ tsp red chili powder till the first whistle and reduce the flame to low and cook for 5 minutes. Put off the flame.
- Grind coconut grated and black pepper with little water to a fine paste.
- Open the pressure cooker lid add to it cooked chickpeas, ground paste and mix well i.e., the cooked chickpeas, tapioca and ground paste and add little more water if required and cook for 3 – 5 minutes and put off the flame. This curry is of a little thick consistency.
- In a kadai heat coconut oil, add mustard seeds and cumin when it splutters add dry red chili powder, garlic and curry leaves and fry till the garlic turns light brownish. Put off the flame. Add this seasoning to the curry.
Yummy and tasty Kadala Kappa Puzhukku is ready. Serve with appam, rice, dosa, puttu or porridge (kanji)