Kerala Chilli Chicken is a popular Chinese dish. It has been indianised for being popular and a good combination with rice, roti varieties and noodles
¼ kg boneless Chicken
1 medium Capsicum (chopped)
2 tsp Tomato Puree
3 tsp Soy Sauce
1 tsp Black Pepper (powdered)
½ Onion (chopped)
2 tsp Honey
Little Chili Powder
Little White Pepper
½ tsp Corn flour
Salt (to taste)
1 tsp Ginger-Garlic Paste
1 tbsp spring onion chopped
2 tbsp Oil (more for frying)
2-3: Green chillies (slit in halves)
2 stems curry leaf
1″ piece Ginger (finely chopped)
2 pods garlic (finely chopped)
Procedure of Kerala Chilli Chicken :
- Mix chicken with tomato puree, salt, 1 tsp soy sauce, ½ tsp black pepper powder, corn flour and ginger-garlic paste. Toss the chicken pieces in the spices. Keep aside for 15 mins
- Heat oil in a pan and fry the chicken pieces. Remove and keep aside to cool.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in another pan and shallow fry the onion.
- Stir in capsicum, honey, remaining black pepper powder, 1 tsp soy sauce and salt. Close the pan with a lid and cook until the capsicum is well cooked.
- Add chicken, remaining 1 tsp soy sauce, chilli powder and white pepper.
- Mix the remaining corn flour in ½ cup water. Stir in the gravy and cook for a while.
- In a separate pan take 2 tsp oil and temper with green chillies, ginger and garlic and finally curry leaf. Add this to the gravy.
- Garnish with Spring Onion