Aviyal is a traditional recipe of Kerala. It is also one of the main recipes that is prepared during sadhya for Vishu , Onam and other important occasions. A sadhya is incomplete without aviyal.
In Aviyal we use different kinds of vegetables with a blend of coconut, jeera, green chilies, garlic, onions and sour curd. Aviyal is a great nutritional dish as we use different vegetables which have fiber, a whole range of Vitamins, antioxidants, minerals and many other protective ingredients.
Raw banana 1
Yam/Chena ¼ cup
Ash Gourd/Kumbalanga ¼ cup
Turmeric powder ½ tsp
For grinding: Step 1
Ginger ¼ inch piece
Green chilies 6-7
For grinding: Step 2
Small onion 1
Coconut (grated) ¾ cup
Jeera/cumin seeds ½ tsp
Sour curd 4-5 tsp
Coconut oil 4 tsp
Curry leaves 2 strands
Salt to taste
Procedure for preparing Kerala (Thrissur Style) Aviyal:
- Wash and clean the vegetables and chop them.
- In a kadai, add the chopped vegetables, turmeric powder, 1 tsp salt and 2 cups of water. Grind to a coarse paste green chilies and ginger, add it to the kadai and boil the vegetables. Reduce the flame to low till the vegetables are cooked.
- Grind grated coconut, garlic, onion, jeera to a coarse paste and add it to the cooked vegetables stirring occasional and boil for a 1 minute.
- Then add curd and stir for 2-3 minutes till it gets mixed well. Put off the flame.
- Top it with coconut oil and curry leaves.
- While stirring for aviyal be careful that the cooked vegetables do not get mashed.
- You can add more vegetables to the recipe.