Kobbari Undala Pulusu is an Andhra dish. Kobbari Undalu in Telugu means Coconut Balls and Pulusu means curry prepared using tamarind. In this recipe coconut balls are prepared using cooked rice, grated coconut and spices. This undalu (balls) are then cooked in tamarind gravy.
Let’s go thru the process of preparing Kobbari Undala Pulusu.
For Coconut Balls:
Cooked rice 1 cup
Coconut grated 1 cup
Jeera / cumin seeds 1 tsp
Dry red chilli 7 – 8
Coriander seeds 1 tsp
Rice powder 1 tsp
Tamarind lime – sized
Jaggery 3 tsp
Red chilli powder ½ tsp
Green chillies (slit) 2
Turmeric powder ¼ tsp
Mustard powder ¼ tsp
Rice powder 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Mustard seeds ½ tsp
Urdal dal ½ tsp
Channa dal ½ tsp
Curry leaves 1 strand
Oil 3 tsp
- Grind together grated coconut, jeera, coriander seeds and dry red chilli without adding water into a coarse paste.
- In a bowl take the coarse ground paste and add 1 tsp of rice powder and mix well. This process is done to get stiff dough.
- Make small balls out of the dough. Keep it aside.
- Meanwhile in a bowl add tamarind and 1 cup of water and squeeze the tamarind juice.
- In a pan heat oil add mustard seeds when it splutters add slit green chillies, urad dal, channa dal, curry leaves, red chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt and fry for 1 minute on low flame.
- Add tamarind juice and allow it to boil till the raw smell disappears. Mix 1 tsp of rice powder with little water to the gravy and allow it to boil. (Rice flour is added to thicken the gravy).
- Add jaggery to the gravy and stir well and allow it to boil. Put the coconut balls into the gravy and cook for 5 minutes on low – medium flame. Put off the flame.
Tasty Kobbari Undala Pulusu is ready. Serve it with rice.
Do refer for more Pulusu recipes:
- TELANGANA STYLE CHEPALA PULUSU
- ANDHRA CHEPALA PULUSU
- CHILAKADA DUMPA VANKAYA PULUSU