Kumbalanga Moru Curry is a traditional Kerala recipe which is prepared using kumbalanga/ashgourd, coconut, curd and other spices. It is a tasty dish which goes well with plain rice, pickle, papadam, any vegetable fry, fish fry and chicken fry.
Ashgourd / Kumbalanga 1 ½ cups (diced to small pieces)
Turmeric Powder 1/2 tsp
Red Chilli Powder 1tsp
Water 1 cup
Salt to taste
Sour Curd / Yogurt 1 cups
Coconut Grated 3/4 cup
Cumin Seeds 1/2 tsp
Black pepper 5 – 6
Coconut Oil 2 tbsp
Mustard Seeds 1/2 tsp
Dry Red chillies 2
Fenugreek Seeds /Methi 1/2 tsp
Curry Leaves 2 strands
- . Peel and dice the kumbalanga /ashgourd into small pieces. Cook ashgourd /kumbalanga with 1 cup of water, turmeric powder, red chilli powder and salt. (Note :Ashgourd /Kumbalanga cooks quickly and hence ensure not to overcook it).
- Grind all ingredients except yogurt listed under for grinding into a fine paste. Beat curd with a pinch of salt and mix it with the ground coconut paste. Keep it aside.
- Once the ashgourd /kumbalanga is cooked well add the coconut and curd paste to this and keep it in low flame ; Bring the curry- just to a boil and immediately turn off the stove. (Note: Take care not over boil the curry.)
- For seasoning, heat coconut oil in a pan over medium flame, add the mustard seeds, once they start spluttering, add methi seeds, dry red chillies and curry leaves. Turn off the flame. Pour the tempering to the curry. Immediately cover with a lid, so that the entire aroma stays in the curry.
- Tasty Kumbalaga Moru Curry is ready.Serve with rice, pickle, papadam, fish fry and chicken fry.
- Ashgourd cooks quickly. So be careful not to overcook it.
- The curry should not be over boiled.
Do refer for more Kerala recipes: