Lauki ka halwa is the halwa that is prepared from the vegetable lauki (bottle gourd). It tastes good. It is also prepared during fasts in North India. On Maha Shivaratri devotees prepare Lauki ka halwa as Prasad and offer to Lord Shiva and break their fast or vrat by having this Prasad.
Lauki (Bottle Gourd) 4 cups
Milk 1 cup
Milkmaid ½ tin
Green color a pinch
Cardamom powder ½ tsp
Almonds (Badam) 5
Raisins (Kishmish) 5
Cashew nuts (Kaju) 5
Ghee 6 tbsp
Procedure for Lauki ka Halwa:
- Peel and grate the lauki.
- Heat the ghee in a pan, fry separately cashew nuts, raisins and almonds till golden brown and keep it aside.
- Add the grated lauki to the pan and saute in the ghee for a few minutes.
- Add the milk and cook till the lauki is soft, mix in the green colour and stir well.
- Add milkmaid and stir continuously till the mixture is thick.
- Sprinkle cardamom powder, mix well, and remove from the flame.
- Garnish with cashew nuts, raisins and almonds.
Lauki ka halwa is ready.