Karthigai Deepam is a festival of lights celebrated in Tamil month of Karthigai. It is celebrated on the full moon day of Karthigai month.
Nel Pori Urundai is one of the famous neivedyam offered to God during Karthigai Deepam in Tamil Nadu.
Let’s go thru the process of preparing Nel Pori:
Nel Pori 3 cups
Jaggery 1 cup
Water ½ cup
Cardamom powder ¼ tsp
Ghee 1 tsp
- Remove the nel (the paddy husk) from the Pori and get it ready.
- In a pan boil jaggery and water together. Strain and remove the impurities in jaggery syrup.
- Once again boil the jaggery syrup till you get a one string consistency (i.e. take a glass of water and a drop of jaggery syrup and put it into the water. If it gets dissolved then let it boil for few more minutes. Again drop a drop of jaggery syrup into the water it should form like a small ball. It is the right consistency).
- Now add cardamom powder and stir. Put off the flame.
- Add nel Pori and stir well, so that nel pori completely gets coated with the jiggery syrup.
- Grease your palms with ghee or oil. Then make small balls out of the mixture.
Delicious Nel Pori is ready as an offering to God.
- Clean the nel (the paddy husk) first and then start making the nel pori.
- If the mixture hardens in the end for the last few balls then heat up the mixture for a minute to lose it and them make the balls.
Do refer for more Karthigai Deepam Neivedyam recipes: