Raw mango 1
Red chili powder 2 tsp
Coriander powder 1 tsp
Turmeric powder ¼ tsp
Salt 3 tsp
Coconut oil 5 tsp
Mustard seeds 1 tsp
Dry red chilies 4
Curry leaves 2 strands
Coconut pieces (finely chopped) ¼ cup
Thick coconut milk (1st coconut milk) 1 cup
Think coconut milk (2nd coconut milk) 1 cup
Procedure for Pacha Manga Curry/Raw Mango Curry:
- Wash and finely chop the mango.
- In a bowl mix finely chopped mango, coriander powder, red chili powder, turmeric powder, salt and top it with 1 tsp coconut oil. Keep it aside for ½ hour.
- Heat coconut oil in a kadai, add mustard seeds, when it splutters add dry red chili and curry leaves.
- Add finely chopped coconut pieces and stir fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the mango mixture and the 2nd coconut milk (refer to note about extracting coconut milk from coconut) and cook for 6-8 minutes stirring continuously.
- Add the 1st coconut milk and keep stirring continuously take care not to let the curry over boil or it will curdle.
- Keep stirring for 1 minute and put off the flame and immediately bring the curry down.
- Again keep stirring the curry so that it does not get curdle or forms lumps.
Tasty and sour mango curry is ready. This mango curry is served with rice.
This mango curry is served with Vishu Katta on Vishu for breakfast as a special traditional festival dish of Thrissur district, Kerala.
- Extracting coconut milk from 1 coconut – grind the grated coconut without water and squeeze it with hand and strain it u will get 1st coconut milk or thick coconut milk.
- Add 1 cup water to the coconut mixture and squeeze it with hand and strain it you will get the 2nd coconut milk or the thin coconut milk.