India is famous for pickles. Every state prepares different types of pickles in different styles suiting their spice levels, climatic conditions and availability of the vegetable or fruit etc.
“Pandu Mirapakaya Pachadi” means Ripe Red Chilli Pickle in Telugu. In Andhra Pradesh and Telangana states, during this season (Dec – Feb) the red chillies are allowed to ripen before pickling as in this season we get less spicy chillies. So the chillies are ripen in this season. Also, ripen red chillies are more available during this season.
Pandu Mirapakaya Pachadi is very easy to prepare and it do not require any elaborate preparations.
In my previous post on Pandu Mirapakaya Pachadi, I have used ripen red chillies, mint leaves, coriander leaves and cloves for grinding the pachadi and then season it.
In today’s post I am preparing “Pandu Mirapakaya Pachadi” using ripe red chillies and tamarind.
Let’s go thru the process of preparing Spicy Pandu Mirapakaya Pachadi:
Ripe red chillies/ Pandu Mirapakayalu ½ kg
Tamarind 150 gm
Roasted methi seeds powder ¾ tsp
Garlic 20 pods
Oil 2 tsp
Mustard seeds ½ tsp
Cumin seeds ½ tsp
Urad dal ½ tsp
Channa dal ½ tsp
Dry red chilli 1
Curry leaves 1 strand
Roasted methi seeds powder ½ tsp
Asafoetida/ hing 1/2tsp
Procedure for preparing Pandu Mirapakaya Pachadi:
- Wash the ripe red chillies thoroughly.
- Keep them under sunlight for 1 hour until no traces of water are found.
- Take red chillies in a plate remove the stalks from red chillies.
- Take fresh tamarind, remove seeds, hard brown shells and fibers.
- For grinding use the mixture jar that is completely dry.
- Cut the ripe red chillies into small pieces and grind them into coarse paste. Do not add water.
- Add salt, roasted methi seeds powder, tamarind and garlic to coarse red chillie paste and once again grind it to a coarse paste without adding water.
- Finally, add lemon juice to the mixture and mix well.
- Store the mixture in a glass jar and refrigerate. Pachadi does not change its color and use this pachadi according to your requirement. This pickle stays fresh for 5 -6 months.
- For seasoning – take the required amount of pachadi in a glass bowl and keep it aside. Now heat a pan add oil, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, urad dal, channa dal, garlic, dry red chillie, curry leaves, roasted methi seeds powder and asafoetida/ hing and fry till they stop spluttering.
- Now pour the seasoning over the glass bowl of panchadi.
Pandu Mirapakaya Pachadi is ready. Serve this pachadi with hot steamed rice with ghee.
- Always use dry spoon while removing the pachadi.
- Adjust salt, tamarind and lemon juice accordingly.
Do refer for more pickle recipes: