Rava kesari is a popular South Indian recipe that is made using rava/semolina. Rava kesari is usually made during poojas and fasts. In South India on Maha Shivaratri devotees prepare Rava Kesari as parsadam for Lord Shiva and break their fast by having this prasadam.
Rava kesari is also prepared during festivals and other important occasions.
Sugar 1 cup
Milk ½ cup
Water 1.5 cup
Cashew nuts 7
Cardamom powder ½ tsp
Yellow color a pinch
Ghee 3 tbsp
Method to prepare Rava Kesari :
- Heat a pan and add 1 tbsp ghee and add rava to it and saute till it attains light brownish color with a nice aroma. Remove the pan from fire.
- Fry the cashew nuts and raisins separately in the remaining ghee.
- In a pan mix the milk and water and boil it.
- When the milk is boiling add roasted rava little by little to the pan so that lumps are not formed.
- Stir continuously till the mixture becomes thick.
- Simmer the flame and cover the cooked rava by a plate for 5 mintues.
- Add sugar to the cooked rava and also a pinch of yellow color and stir well, add cardamom powder and stir well till a thick consistency is formed.
- Transfer rava kesari to a serving bowl. Garnish rava kesari with fried cashew nuts and raisins.
Sweet and delicious Rava Kesari is ready.