Rice Khichdi is considered to be quickly prepared rice variety. Famous inNorth India, basic ingredient is rice and tur dhal. Can be prepared for breakfast or main course. Popular for its flavour and taste.
2 cups rice
1 cup toor dhal ( split red gram)
5 cloves ( laung)
1 Cinnamon (dalchini),
5 cardamom ( elaich)
2 finely sliced onion
4 green chillies (slitt into halves)
½ bunch mint leaves ( finely chopped)
1/2 bunch coriander leaves ( finely chopped)
1 tsp garlic paste
1 ½ tsp ginger paste
1/4 cup vegetable oil
a few curry leaves
3 cups water
a pinch of turmeric powder
Salt (to taste)
Procedure of Rice Khichdi:
- Wash and cook dhal with a pinch of turmeric powder. Set aside.
- Don’t discard the cooked dhal water.
- Fry the onions, cloves, cinnamon and cardamom.
- When onions are golden add slit green chillies, mint leaves, curry leaves and a part of the coriander leaves.
- Add salt, ginger and garlic paste. Fry for 2 minutes.
- Add the washed, drained rice and chopped tomatoes. Fry for 2- 3 minutes.
- Add the cooked dhal, mix well and add 3 cups of water.(include cooked dal water)
- Cook it for 8 to 10 minutes till the rice is done.
- Garnish with chopped corriander leaves and serve hot.
- Can be served with pickle, chutney.