Saboo daana ka khichdi is usually prepared during hot summers as it gives a cooling effect to the body. In North India, on Maha Shivaratri, Saboo Daana Ki Khichdi are prepared as Prasad for Lord Shiva and devotees have this Prasad after breaking their fast or vrat.
250 gms saboo daana
200 gms groundnuts
5-7 green chillies
¼ tsp jeera (cumin seeds)
1 tbsp coriander leaves
50 gms ghee
Rock salt (sendha namak) to taste
Procedure for Saboo daana ki Khichdi:
- Wash and soak saboo daana in water for 30 minutes.
- Peel potatoes, chop into small cubes and keep aside.
- Roast the groundnuts, remove the skin and grind into a powder.
- Add rock salt to the green chillies and grind into a fine paste.
- Heat ghee in a kadai ,add cumin seeds and chopped potatoes and fry until light brown.
- Add the green chilli paste and fry for 2 minutes then add soaked saboo daana and fry for 4-5 minutes.
- Add the groundnuts powder and mix well for 2 minutes. Cover with a lid and cook for 2 minutes until soft.
- Garnish with coriander leaves. Serve hot.
Use of rock salt is significant during fasts. Specially for fasts during summer. During Maha Shivaratri devotees usually use rock salt for preparing recipes to break their fasts.