Sambar masala is the main ingrendient for preparing any sambar. Sambar masala is famous throughout the world for its aroma and taste. Sambar masala is prepared by grinding various types of basic Indian spices. This sambar masala is prepared instantly and it is used immediately to prepare sambar. The main ingredients of sambar masala are
Coriander Seeds 2 tbsp
Cumin Seeds/Jeera ½ tsp
Bengal gram dal/Channa dal 1 tbsp
Black gram dal/urad dal ½ tbsp
Fenugreek seeds ¼ tsp
Asafoetida ¼ inch piece
Dry red chilies 10
Coconut (grated) ¼ cup
Curry leaves 2 strands
Onion ¼ piece
Pepper corn 4
Oil 4 tsp
Procedure for preparing Sambar Masala:
- Heat oil in a pan add asafoetida piece and stir fry till it turns its color to dark brown. Put the flame on low.
- Add fenugreek seeds and fry till it changes it color to reddish.
- Then add channa dal and fry till it changes its color or for ½ minute.
- Add cumin seeds and fry for 30 seconds on low flame.
- Add urad dal and fry till it changes its color to reddish.
- Add pepper corn and fry for ½ minute
- Add coriander seeds and fry for ½ minute or till it changes its color to light brownish.
- Add curry leaves, onion and garlic and fry for ½ minute or till the garlic changes its color to light brownish.
- Add dry red chilies and fry for 1 minute or till it changes its color to dark red.
- Add the grated coconut and stir fry till the coconut changes its color to light brown. Put off the flame.
- Allow it to cool and then grind it with sufficient water. This sambar masala is used to prepare sambar immediately.
- This sambar masala can be prepared for one time use only.