Sambhar is a popular South Indian dish or a main course curry. A good combination for main meal and breakfast items like dosa and idli .
½ cup Tur Dal (soaked)
Mixed Vegetables (as desired, chopped)
2 tbsp Oil
1 tsp Mustard Seeds
1 sprig Curry Leaves.
1 sprig of coriander leaves
Tamarind (Lime sized)
Salt (to taste)
Asafoetida ( Hing) optional
For Sambar Masala:
1 tbsp Chana Dal
1 tbsp Urad Dal
1 tsp Cumin Seeds
½ tsp Fenugreek Seeds
1 tbsp Coconut (grated)
8 Red Chillies.
Procedure of Sambhar – masala variety:
- Heat oil in a pan and fry all the ingredients to make the sambar masala.
- Remove and grind to a fine paste.
- Pressure cook tur dal with water until tender.
- Saute the chopped vegetables in 1 tsp of oil on a low flame.
- Add these vegetables into the cooked tur dal, cook until tender.
- Stir in the ground sambhar masala and simmer for another 10-15 minutes.
- Add tamarind extract.
- Flavor with mustard seeds, curry leaves , 1 red chilly and salt.
- Garnish with coriander leaves. Sprinkle asafoetida (hing)
- Serve hot with dosa or idli.