Tender Jackfruit Curry or Iddichakka Thoran is a traditional recipe of Kerala which is prepared with tender jackfruit, grated coconut and some spices. It is served along with steamed rice. It is also a Kerala Sadhya Recipe.
Peeling and cutting the jackfruit is a time consuming and tedious task, but the end result is amazing. Oil your palms and knife with coconut oil to decrease the amount of sticky latex that sticks to it. This will not prevent it, but it does a good job in decreasing the mess you have to deal with later on.
Let’s go thru the process of preparing Iddichakka Thoran:
Tender jackfruit/ iddichakka 1
Turmeric powder a pinch
Salt to taste
Coconut oil 1tbsp
Mustard seeds 1 tsp
Jeera/ cumin seeds 1 tsp
Urad dal 1 tsp
Channa dal 1 tsp
Dried red chilies 2
Curry leaves 2 strands
Onion (optional) 1
Garlic 6 cloves
Red chili powder ½ tsp
Coconut grated ½ cup
Procedure for preparing TENDER JACKFRUIT CURRY / IDDICHAKKA THORAN:
- Take a newspaper and spread it on a table or on ground, then oil your palms and the knife with coconut oil. Cut the tender jackfruit into desirable size. Then remove the prickly thick outer skin and the rest can be cut into pieces.
- Cook these pieces with turmeric powder, a little salt and a little water for about 1 whistle and low the flame and cook for 5 minutes in the pressure cooker. Allow it to cool.
- Once cool, remove the pieces and mash with your fingers or back of a wooden spoon to get some shredded jackfruit. Be careful the jackfruit pieces shouldn’t become a paste.
- Heat coconut oil in a kadhai, add mustard seeds and jeera when it splutters add urdal dal and channa dal and fry till the dals change its color on low flame.
- Now add chopped onions, garlic, dry red chilies and curry leaves and fry until the onions change its color to light brown.
- Now add grated coconut and stir fry for ½ a minute on medium flame, add the shredded jackfruit pieces and saute. Add salt to taste and red chili powder and fry for 2 – 3 minutes in medium flame.
Yummy TENDER JACKFRUIT CURRY / IDDICHAKKA THORAN is ready. Serve it with steaming hot rice and sambar or rice gruel.
Do refer for more JACKFRUIT RECIPES: