Thandai is a cooling refreshing spicy drink with aromatic flavors. Traditionally thandai is served during Holi.
Poppy seeds/Khus khus 2tsp
Cardamom pods/Elachi 6
Sugar 12 tsp
Pepper corns/Kali mirch 2 tsp
Cumin seeds/jeera 2 tsp
Water 300 ml
Milk 400 ml
Crushed Ice 4 tsp
Rose water 2 tbsp
Rose pestles for garnish
Procedure for preparing Thandai:
- Soak almonds in water for at least 6 hours. Peel off the almond skin.
- Grind pepper corns, aniseeds, cumin seeds, poppy seeds and cardamom pods.
- First grind the almonds into paste using little water, then add to it the ground spices, ½ cup water and grind into creamy paste.
- Add 1 cup of water and sugar and mix well until sugar dissolves.
- Strain the creamy paste through the fine strainer or cheesecloth.
- Grind once again the leftover ground paste with water.
- Again extract the liquid by straining through the cheesecloth.
- Discard the remaining leftover paste.
- Mix the almond liquid, milk and rose water.
- Thandai is ready serve with crushed ice and garnish with rose pestles.