Tutti Frutti is a colorful confection containing various chopped and candied fruits, or an artificially created flavoring simulating the combined flavor of different fruits. Tutti Frutti is made from unripe papaya fruit.
Tutti Frutti provides attractiveness as well as nutritive value to many food items. It is mostly used for toppings for breads, ice-cream, fruit bar, pulao, cakes, pastries, custard shrikand, sweets and fruit salad etc.
Raw Papaya 1 medium – sized
Sugar 2 cups
Water as needed
Vanilla essence ½ tsp
Edible food color:
Red 1 pinch
Yellow 1 pinch
Green 1 pinch
Procedure for preparing Tutti Frutti at Home:
- Peel the papaya and chop the papaya. Remove the seeds along with the white part. Chop the papaya into small cubes. Keep it aside.
- In a vessel boil 2 cups of water. Once the water starts boiling, add chopped raw papaya and cook till it boils for 3 – 4 minutes on low to medium flame. Put off the flame and allow the papaya to remain in the same water for another 7 minutes. By now the papaya cubes turn transparent.
- Strain the papaya cubes and keep it aside.
- Meanwhile, in a vessel or pan boil 2 cups of sugar and 2 cups of water. Once the sugar is dissolved, add blanched and strained papaya cubes in sugar syrup.
- Cook until the sugar syrup turns sticky and forms a thin one-string consistency, it takes about 15-20 minutes on low to medium flame. Put off the flame and remove the vessel.
- Add ½ tsp vanilla essence and stir well.
- Take 4 bowls and divide sugar syrup along with the papaya cubes into this 4 bowls.
- Add a pinch of each edible food color in 3 different bowls filled with syrup and papaya cubes and mix well each bowl.
- Do not add any food color to the 4th bowl, let it have its own natural color.
- Leave it aside for 12 hrs.
- After 12 hours, strain the papaya cubes from the syrup, spread those papaya cubes on a plate. Sun-dry the papaya cubes for 2 days.
Tutti Frutti is ready. Store tutti frutti in an air tight container and use whenever needed.