Ugadi Pachadi is the main tasty Pachadi that is served to all the family members early in the morning on Ugadi to welcome the Telugu New Year. Ugadi Pachadi symbolizes the fact that life is a mixture of different experiences (sadness, happiness, anger, disgust, fear and surprise) which should be accepted together and with equanimity through the New Year and the eating of a specific mixture of six tastes called Ugadi Pachadi. The preparation of Ugadi Pachadi varies from region to region. All the ingredients are approximations only including water in the Ugadi Pachadi recipe can be adjusted to suit your taste.
1 cup Water
1 tbsp Neem flowers
2 tbsp Raw mango pieces (peeled and chopped)
1 tsp Tamarind pulp
Red chili powder a pinch
Salt a pinch
Pieces of ripe banana
Procedure for preparing Ugadi Pachadi:
- Wash and clean the neem flowers.
- Soak tamarind in 1 cup warm water till it softens.
- Add grated jaggery and one cup water, boil till it melts.
- Filter jaggery syrup in another bowl and also strain tamarind pulp in the same bowl.
- In the same bowl add chopped raw mango pieces, coconut pieces, salt, red chili powder, neem flower, ripe banana, putnalu pappu and cashew nuts chopped. Mix well.
- Ugadi Pachadi is offered to God as neivedyam. And then it’s shared by all the family members and friends.
- Use the season’s first arrival of jaggery, tamarind, tender raw mango and freshly bloomed neem flowers to make the Ugadi Pachadi.