Ulli Pakoda or Onion Pakoda is one of the popular Indian snack which is simple, easy and quick to prepare. It is a tasty, crispy and spicy snack which can be served with hot cup of tea especially during rainy days.
Today I am posting Ulli Pakoda prepared in Tamil style which was passed to me by our family friend Mrs. VIJAYA JAIRAM. It is really tasty, crispy and spicy snack. Do give it a try!!!
Besan / Channa dal powder 2 cups
Rice powder ¼ cup
Onions (large) 2
Coriander powder 1 ½ tsp
Red chili powder 1 ½ tsp
Jeera 1 tsp
Ginger – garlic paste 1 tsp
Curry leaves 2 strands
Ghee 2 tsp
Baking soda a pinch
Salt 1 tsp
Water 2 cups
Oil for deep frying
Procedure for preparing Ulli Pakoda:
- Peel and wash the onions. Cut it into thin long strips.
- Chop the curry leaves.
- In a bowl add chopped onions, besan, rice powder, coriander leaves, red chili powder, jeera, ginger – garlic paste, chopped curry leaves, ghee, baking soda, salt and water and mix well and prepare the batter of pakoda consistency.
- Heat oil in a pan for deep frying. Once the oil is hot, add small portions of the onion mixture and fry on medium flame.
- Fry on both the sides till the onion pakoda turns golden brown. Drain them on a kitchen tissue paper.
- Fry onion pakodas in batches until you finish entire mixture.
Tasty, crispy and spicy Ulli Pakoda is ready to be served with hot tea on a rainy day.
- Instead of using fine besan/channa dal powder you can use channa dal which is coarsely powdered to give a crunchier and crispy taste to the onion pakoda.
- Onion pakoda batter should not be too watery.
- U can increase or decrease the salt according to your taste.