Andhra Beerakaya Thokkala Pachadi or Ridge Gourd Skin is one of the most famous dish from Andhra. Andhra meal is incomplete without a pachadi that is prepared from fresh vegetables.
Ridge gourd is extremely rich in dietary fiber. Ridge gourd is also a cooling agent that aids in handling burning up experience with the urine. Ridge gourd helps to manage acidity.
Today, I am posting a chuntey that is prepared from the skin of ridge gourd in Andhra style. All the viewers try this Andhra Beerakaya Thokkala Panchadi it tastes really good.
Channa dal ½ cup
Coconut (grated) ½ cup
Green chilies 5
Red chilies 5
Garlic 10 cloves
Jeera a pinch
Salt 2 tsp or according to the taste
Tamarind small lemon sized ball.
Onion 1 medium sized
Coriander leaves 1 punch
Oil 2 tbsp
Procedure for Andhra Beerakaya Thokkala Pachadi:
- Remove the ridges of the gourd and wash the gourd well.
- Then remove the peels with a peeler and cut them into small pieces.
- Keep a khadai to heat and pour 2 tbsp oil.
- Fry dal to reddish brown color and remove and keep it aside.
- In the same khadai fry green chilies, red chilies, chopped onion, garlic and jeera.
- When the onions turn pink put the peels and fry for 5 minutes or until they are reduced to half. Keep stirring
- Add grated coconut and chopped coriander leaves and fry for 2 minutes.
- Remove from flame and cool.
- Coarsely grind dal first. Then add the remaining fried ingredients along with 2tsp Salt (to taste) and tamarind and grind. Add some water as to your consistency of the chutney.
Serve with idli, dosa, roti or rice.