Sambar is one of the main dishes of South India. Sambar is a blend of cooked dal, cooked vegetable with sambar masala. It is a tasty and aromatic dish Sambar is prepared in different styles according to different regions. Some prepare Sambar by using sambar masala which is prepared by roasting the spices along with coconut while other do not use coconut while roasting. So, there are different methods of preparing Sambar.
Today, I am posting Easy and Quick Sambar. When you are short of time or suddenly guests arrive and you have to prepare Sambar, this Tasty Sambar recipe will help you.
Let’s go thru the process of preparing this Easy and Quick Sambar–
Tovar dal ½ cup
Red chili powder ½ tsp
Tamarind small lemon sized
Turmeric powder ½ tsp
Salt to taste
Coriander seeds 1 tsp
Channa dal ½ tsp
Urad dal ½ tsp
Jeera ½ tsp
Garlic 2 cloves
Black pepper 7 – 8
Green chilies 6
Oil 4 tsp
Dry red chilies 2
Curry leaves 1 strand
Mustard seeds ½ tsp
Jeera ½ tsp
Asafeotide powder a pinch
Coriander leaves few
Procedure for preparing Easy and Quick Sambar:
- Wash and cook the dal with enough water in the pressure cooker.
- Peel and wash the vegetables and chop them 1-inch length wise or in the same size.
- In a bowl add all the chopped vegetables with enough water, turmeric powder and salt and cook the vegetables.
- Meanwhile, soak tamarind in 1 cup of water for 5 minutes. Then squeeze the tamarind juice.
- When the vegetables are almost cooked add tamarind juice and cook for 2-3 minutes on low flame till raw smell goes.
- Meanwhile, grind the ingredients listed for grinding to a coarse paste.
- Add this ground coarse sambar masala to the vegetables and boil on high flame. Then reduce the flame to low and cook for 4-5 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add cooked vegetables to the cooked dal and cook on high flame. Reduce the flame to low and cook for 3-4 minutes stirring occasionally. Put off the flame.
- In a kadhai heat oil, add mustard seeds and jeera.
- When mustard seeds splutter, add dry chilies, curry leaves and a pinch of asafeotida powder. Put off the flame.
- Top the curry with this seasoning.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
Easy and Quick Sambar is ready to be served. It is served with plain rice, idli, dosa etc.
- U can increase or decrease the spice levels according to your tastes.
- While seasoning use a pinch of asafetida as it increases the aroma of sambar.
Do refer my other post for more sambar recipes: