Gutti Vankaya Kura is a traditional recipe of Andhra. It is one of the popular stuffed brinjal (egg plant) curries.
Gutti Vankaya Kura is prepared by grinding groundnuts (peanuts), til, grated coconut, whole spices, onions, ginger-garlic paste and tamarind into smooth paste which is stuffed into the brinjals and then shallow fried in oil.
This recipe goes perfectly well with bagara rice, plain white rice, chapatti or briyani.
Let’s go thru the ingredients and procedure of preparing Gutti Vankaya Kura-
Brinjals 1/4 kg
Patta (dalchini) 4
Shahjeera 1 tsp
Elachi (cardamom) 3
Coconut (grated) ½ cup
White til 2 tbsp
Groundnuts (peanuts) 40
Onions (chopped) 2
Ginger-garlic paste 1 ½ tsp
Coriander (dhania) powder 2 tsp
Tamarind lemon sized
Red chilli powder 1 ½ tsp
Oil 4 tsp
Salt to taste
Procedure for preparing Gutti Vankaya Kura:
- In a pan dry roast cloves, patta, shahjeera, elachi for 1-2 minutes, add white til and fry till the white til starts to crackle. Add groundnuts and fry till the groundnuts are roasted. Add grated coconut and fry till it turns into brownish color. Add coriander powder and red chilies powder and fry for 2-3 minutes. Put off the flame and allow it to cool.
- In another pan heat oil and fry onions till it turns into pinkish color. Put off the flame.
- Grind together the roasted ingredients, fried onions, ginger-garlic paste, tamarind and sufficient water into a smooth paste. Brinjal masala is ready.
- Wash the brinjals and silt them from backside and retain the top portion which we usually discard and soak the brinjals in salt water so that it does not turn blackish.
- Stuff all the brinjals with the ground masala. You cannot stuff all the masala inside the brinjal. You will be left with some ground masala.
- In a pan heat oil add or place the stuffed brinjals carefully inside. Cook on low flame and cover the lid.
- Allow this to cook on all sides by carefully and gently turning it on all the sides. Cook on low flame or it well get burnt. Let the brinjals turn soft.
- Add the remaining ground masala to the cooked brinjals and cook till it oozes out the oil on the sides.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
Mouthwatering Gutti Vankaya Kura is ready to be served.
- This curry has to be cooked on low flame.
- The spice level can be increased or decreased.