Puli Inji is a main pickle recipe of Kerala Sadhya. It is a sweet and sour ginger pickle. Puli Inji is prepared using ginger, green chilies, jaggery and tamarind juice.
Puli Inji is prepared in different styles in different parts of Kerala. Today my post for
Puli Inji preparation is as follows:
Ginger (inji) ¾ cup
Green chilies 7
Tamarind pulp lime – sized
Turmeric powder ¼ tsp
Red chilies powder ½ tsp
Coconut oil 5 tsp
Jaggery 1/4 cube
Salt to taste
Coconut oil 2tsp
Mustard seeds ½ tsp
Dry red chilies 3
Curry leaves 1 strand
Procedure for preparing Inji Puli:
- Soak tamarind in hot water for 15 minutes. Squeeze and extract the juice.
- Wash and peel the ginger and chop very finely.
- Wash and chop the green chilies.
- Heat 5 tsp coconut oil in a kadai, add ginger and green chilies and fry on medium flame. Stirring continuously.
- Fry ginger till it turns golden brown. Reduce the flame to low.
- Add turmeric powder, red chilies powder, asafetida powder and salt and fry for ½ a minute.
- Add tamarind juice and increase the flame to medium. Keep stirring and allow it to boil.
- Add the jaggery and allow to boil till the consistency becomes thick. Put off the flame.
- Transfer the contents into a bowl.
- For seasoning – Heat 2 tsp coconut oil in a kadai, add mustard seeds when it splutters add dry red chilies and curry leaves and fry for ½ minute. Put off the flame.
- Add the seasoning to the bowl of Puli Inji. Cool and transfer puli inji to an air –tight jar.
Tangy and spicy Puli Inji is ready. Serve with rice and other curries like sambar as a tangy pickle.
- U can change the spice level according to Ur preference.
- Puli Inji lasts almost for 15 – 20 days when refrigerated.
- Use dry spoon when taking out Puli Inji.