Kichadi is one of the traditional recipes of Kerala Sadhya. There are many varieties of Kichadi. Beetroot Kichadi is one of the variety in which grated beetroot is first fired in coconut oil and the process of preparing Beetroot Kichadi is as follows:
Red chilies powder ¼ tsp
Turmeric powder ¼ tsp
Curd 1 cup
Green chilies 4
Jeera ½ tsp
Coconut grated 1 cup
Mustard seeds 1/8 tsp
Mustards seeds ¼ tsp
Curry leaves 1 strand
Dry red chili 1
Coconut oil 4 tsp
Salt to taste
Procedure for preparing Beetroot Kichadi:
- Peel, wash and grate the beetroot.
- Heat a pan add 2 tsp coconut oil; add grated beetroot, turmeric powder, red chilies powder and salt. Cook on low flame for 5 minutes.
- Grind coconut grated, jeera, green chilies and 1/8 tsp mustard seed.
- Add the ground paste to beetroot and stir and cook for 3 – 4 minutes.
- Add curd and stir do not allow the kichadi to boil. Put off the flame.
- Transfer the kichadi to a serving bowl.
- In a kadhai heat 2 tsp coconut oil, add mustard seeds when it splutters add red chili and curry leaves and fry for ½ a minute. Put off the flame.
- Add the seasoning to the serving bowl.
Colorful and taste Beetroot Kichadi is ready.