Kala channa sundal recipe is a simple, easy and nutritious black chickpeas recipe. It is prepared during Vinayaka Chaturthi and Navratri festival. Kala Channa Sundal is offered to God and Goddess as prasadam or neivedyam.
Black channa sundal is a South Indian recipe prepared with black chickpeas, spices and coconut.
Kala channa/ black chickpeas 1 cup
Water 4 cups
Green chilies (slit) 2
Mustard seeds 1 tsp
Jeera 1 tsp
Curry leaves 2 strands
Oil 2 tsp
Hing a pinch
Coconut grated 2 – 3 tbsp
Turmeric powder ½ tsp
Salt to taste
Procedure for preparing Kala Channa Sundal:
- Soak kala channa overnight.
- Next morning, cook the channa in a pressure cooker with 4 cups of water, salt and turmeric powder till 1st whistle and reduce the flame to low and cook for 10 minutes. Put off the flame.
- When cool open the pressure cooker and strain the water and keep the kala channa aside.
- Use the strained water for cooking any dal or vegetable curry, as it is rich in nutrients.
- Heat oil in pan. Add mustard seeds and jeera when it splutters. Add slit green chilies and curry leaves and saute.
- Add cooked kala channa stir and fry for 4 -5 minutes on medium flame. Add grated coconut and fry for 1/2 a minute. Put off the flame.
Serve Kala Channa Sundal as prasadam or neivedyam.