Guggillu are tempering the boiled Kabuli channa. This recipe of Kabuli channa is prepared as offering to Lord Ganesha on Vinayaka Chathurthi and to Goddess Durga as a Navarathri special item.
Kabuli Channa is a good protein filled legume. It is good for diabetic patients as it has low glycemic index. It is also an excellent source of iron thus it prevents anemia.
Kabuli channa/ White chick peas 1 cup
Turmeric powder ¼ tsp
Salt to taste
Water 3 cups
Oil 3 tsp
Mustard seeds ½ tsp
Cumin seeds ½ tsp
Spilt urad dal ½ tsp
Asafetida/ Hing a pinch
Dry chilies 2
Curry leaves 1 strand
Coconut (grated) ½ cup
Procedure for preparing Guggilu:
- Wash and soak the Kabuli channa overnight for 6- 8 hours.
- In a pressure cooker add 3 cups of water, salt and turmeric powder and soaked channa and cook on high flame till the 1st whistle then reduce the flame to low and cook for 8-10 minutes. Put off the flame and allow it to cool. The channa should not be overcooked.
- Drain the channa and keep it aside.
- In a pan heat oil and add mustard seeds and cumin seeds and when it splutters add urad dal and fry till the dal turns reddish, then add red chilies, asafoetida and curry leaves and sauté for ½ minute. Add cooked channa and mix well and fry for 2-3 minutes on low flame, add coconut grated and fry for 1-2 minutes. Put off the flame.
Guggillu is ready.
- If u forgot to soak the channa previous night, u can soak channa in hot water for 2hours and then pressure cooks it. It will be done.
- Do not overcook the channa.