Cabbage – Carrot Thoran is a traditional Kerala recipe. It is a dry vegetable dish prepared using finely grated cabbage and carrot and coconut.
It is also one of the main vegetable dishes prepared during Vishu and Onam sadhya and other important
It is easy and quick to prepare this colourful recipe. It is tasty as well as healthy dish as cabbage is a good source of Vitamin C and Fiber and carrot is rich in Vitamin A which is good for eye health and it also has loads of fiber.
Kerala Cabbage – Carrot thoran recipe is as follows:
Cabbage 2 cups
Carrot 1 cup
Onion 1 large
Green chilies 4
Ginger ¼ inch piece
Curry leaves 2 strands
Mustard seeds 1 tsp
Jeera/cumin seeds ½ tsp
Turmeric powder ¼ tsp
Salt 1.5 tsp
Coconut (grated) ¼ cup
Coconut oil 4 tsp
Procedure for preparing Cabbage – Carrot Thoran:
- Wash and peel cabbage and carrot.
- Finely grate cabbage, carrot, onion, green chilies and ginger it should be like coconut grated.
- In a bowl mix the grated cabbage, carrot, onion, green chilies, ginger, turmeric powder, curry leaves and salt, mix nicely with hands or mash well with the help of hands.
- Heat coconut oil in a thick bottom pan, add mustard seeds and jeera.
- When mustard seeds splutter, add the vegetable mixture and stir fry on low flame and cook covered with the lid for 2-3minutes, stirring occasionally.
- After 2-3 minutes, stir fry once and close the lid and repeat the process till the vegetables are done.
- Add the grated coconut and stir fry for 1-2 minutes.
Tasty Cabbage – Carrot Thoran is ready. It is served with rice, roti etc.
- You can increase or decrease the spice levels.
- You can increase or decrease the salt according to your choice.
- This recipe tastes good when cooked in coconut oil.