Kerala Cherupayar Parippu Curry is one of the first recipes that are served with rice and hot ghee for Kerala Sadhya. Especially during Onam, Vishu and other important occasions.
Kerala Cherupayar Parippu Curry is very easy and simple to prepare. It is also very tasty and nutritious. Let go through the process of preparing this simple and tasty curry.
Moong dal (Cherupayar Parippu) ½ cup
Green chilies 3 (slit lengthwise)
Turmeric powder ½ tsp
Tomato (chopped) 1
Water 2 ½ cup
Salt to taste
Coconut oil 3 tsp
Mustard seeds ½ tsp
Cumin seeds (jeera) ½ tsp
Dry red chili 2 (broken into 2 pieces)
Curry leaves 1 strand
Procedure for preparing Kerala Cherupayar Parippu Curry:
- In a kadhai dry roast moong dal till light brown and put off the flame.
- Add cold water in the kadhai and wash the dal and drain the water.
- In another kadhai add the dal, green chilies, tomato, turmeric powder, salt and water and allow the dal to boil on high flame. Then reduce the flame to low and cook covered for 10 minutes or till the dal is cooked stirring occasionally.
- Transfer the curry to serving bowl.
- In a kadhai heat coconut oil, add mustard seeds and jeera when it splutters add the dry red chilies and curry leaves and stir for ½ minutes. Put off the flame.
- Add this seasoning to Cherupayar Parippu Curry.
Kerala Cherupayar Parippu Curry is ready to be served with steaming rice and hot ghee. It tastes great. Serve it with any side dish, papadam or mango or lime pickle.