Mutton curry is prepared in different styles in different regions of Kerala. More spice is used in Kerala Mutton curry. Usually coconut milk or ground coconut or coconut pieces are used to prepare Kerala Mutton Curry. Today I am posting Kerala Mutton Curry with Coconut Pieces.
Mutton 1.5 kg
Garlic (chopped finely) 15 – 20
Ginger (chopped finely) 2 pieces (3“ inch each)
Coconut pieces ¼ cup
Onion (chopped) 1
Tomato (chopped) 1
Turmeric powder ½ tsp
Coriander powder 5.5 tsp
Red chili powder 2.5 tsp
Pepper powder ½ tsp
Garam masala powder 1 tsp
Green chilies (slit) 2
Curry leaves 1 strand
Mustard seeds 1 tsp
Oil 6 tsp
Salt to taste
Procedure for preparing Kerala Mutton Curry with Coconut Pieces:
- Wash and clean the mutton pieces with lime juice to remove the smell and to get a clean mutton pieces.
- In pressure pan, heat oil and add mustard seeds when it splutters, add garlic, ginger, onions and green chilies and fry till the onions become transparent. Add coconut pieces and stir well for 1 minute.
- In a blender grind together coriander powder and red chilies powder with little water.
- Add the ground paste to the pressure pan and stir fry for 2 – 3 minute, then add pepper powder and garam masala powder and stir fry for 2 – 3 minutes on medium flame.
- Add tomato pieces and stir for 2 – 3 minutes, then add mutton pieces and stir well and close the pressure pan with the lid and cook on high flame.
- When the steam starts coming nicely put the whistle on it and wait till the first whistle sound is heard then sim the stove to low and cook for 10 minutes then put off the flame.
- After 15-20 minutes open the lid and cook for 2-3 minutes stirring occasionally then add coriander leaves and put off the flame.
Tasty Kerala Mutton Curry With Coconut Pieces are ready to be served. It goes well with plain rice, vegetable briyani, pulao, roti, appam etc.