Khubani Ka Meetha is a dessert prepared from dried apricots. Khubani Ka Meetha is a very popular dessert of Hyderabad cuisine.
Khubani or Khobani is Urdu term for apricot. It is a common feature at Hyderabadi weddings. It is a very simple, quick and easy to prepare this recipe with very few ingredients.
Let’s go thru the process of preparing this traditional Hyderabadi sweet recipe – Khubani Ka Meetha:
Dried apricots/ Khubani 250 grams
Water 1 litre
Sugar ¾ cup
Red-orange food colour 2 pinches
Vanilla ice-cream 1 scoop
Procedure for preparing Khubani Ka Meetha:
- Rinse the dried apricots well.
- In a bowl soak the dried apricots with 1 litre water overnight.
- Next morning the apricots will become pulpy and soft.
- Strain the soaked water from the apricots into a bowl. You will get golden colour water. Remove the apricots and place them in a plate.
- Deseed the apricots. Keep the hard kernel aside.
- Break the hard kernel with a pestle or stone mortar. When you break this kernel you will find a nut similar in shape and colour like almonds. But it is smaller in size compared to almonds.
- Throw away the hard kernel and chop each nut into two halves.
- In the bowl of soaked water, add the apricots and allow it to cook on high flame.
- Add ¾ cup of sugar, 2 pinch of red-orange food colour and the nuts and boil it.
- Low the flame and cook for 20-25 minutes. Keep stirring occasionally till the mixture thickens and the apricots becomes soft. You can mash the apricots while stirring with a spoon, it easily gets mashed.
- Stir well and put off the flame.
- Khubani Ka Meetha is ready. Allow it to cool in the room temperature and refrigerate for 1 hour before serving.
- In a serving bowl add a scoop of vanilla ice-cream and then add 4-5 tsp of Khubani Ka Meetha and serve the delicious Khubhani Ka Meetha.
- You can increase the sweet levels according to your preferences.