Murukku is a snack prepared during almost all the festivals in India. There are many versions of murukku.
Today I am sharing one more Murukku recipe prepared using maida which requires dry steaming of all-purpose flour (maida). Try out this unique crispy Maida Murukku.
Maida 1 kg
Black til/sesame seeds 5 tsp
Jeera/cumin seeds 5 tsp
Salt to taste
Oil for deep frying
Procedure for preparing Maida Murukku:
- Sieve maida and put it in a steel vessel.
- In a pressure cooker put the maida vessel for steaming i.e., keep the vessel in the pressure cooker and close the cooker lid but do not put whistle/weight, allow the steam to come out nicely/fully then reduce the flame to low and allow it to steam for 40 minutes. Put off the flame.
- After 10 minutes open the pressure cooker lid and take out the vessel.
- Carefully put the steamed maida into a big bowl and with the spatula break open the big lumps and allow it to cool.
- Mix the maida, black til, jeera, salt and enough water to make smooth and soft dough.
- Take star shaped mold and fit it in the murukku maker.
- Take small portions of the dough and put into the murukku maker and press it on a plate in circular motion.
- In a kadai, heat oil for deep frying, carefully put the circular shape murukku into the kadai for deep frying on low flame. Fry on medium flame turning on both sides.
- Transfer it on kitchen paper.
- Allow it to cool on room temperature and serve it or store it in air-tight container. It stays fresh for 15-20 days.
Crispy Maida Murukku is ready. Serve it with hot cup of tea.
- To know the oil is heated add a small piece of the dough into the heated oil. If the dough rises immediately to the surface of the oil, the oil is heated and we can add the pressed murukku.
- Always reduce the flame to low while putting the pressed murukkus into the heated oil. So that the heated oil does not spill on your hands.
- Deep fry the murukku on medium flame. Do not fry on high flame as they cook from outside and remain uncooked from inside or sometimes they even burn and taste bitter.