Pumpkin is an extremely nutrient food, with loads of vitamins, minerals and low in calories. Pumpkin is used to make a variety of curry, soup and desserts.
Today, I am posting a sweet dessert with pumpkin – Mathanga Payasam or Pumpkin Payasam.
Try out Mathanga Payasam – Sadhya Recipe
Pumpkin 3 cups
Jaggery 500 gms
Water 1 ½ cup + 2 cups
Rice powder 2 tbsp
Ghee 1 tbsp + 3 tsp
Cashew nuts 10
Honey 2 tbsp
Cardamom powder 1 tsp
From one coconut:
Thick coconut milk
(1st coconut milk) 1 cup
Thin coconut milk
(2nd coconut milk) 2 cups
Thinner coconut milk
(3rd coconut milk) 2 cups
Procedure for preparing Mathanga Payasam:
- Peel the pumpkin and discard the seeds. Chop the pumpkin into small pieces.
- In a vessel add 1 ½ cup water and chopped pumpkin pieces and cook till done.
- Make jaggery syrup by boil jaggery and 2 cups of water in a vessel. Put off the flame.
- Strain the jaggery syrup for any impurities.
- In a pan add 1 tbsp of ghee and add the cooked and mashed pumpkin and saute for 5 minutes.
- Add honey and jaggery syrup.
- Add 3rd coconut milk and keep stirring.
- In a small bowl add 2 tbsp of rice powder and ¼ cup of 2nd coconut milk and mix well there should be no lumps.
- Add this paste to the payasam and cook for 2-3 minutes stirring continuously.
- Add the remaining 2nd coconut milk and keep stirring on low flame for 2 – 3 minutes.
- Add cardamom powder.
- Add the 1st coconut milk and keep stirring, allow it to just boil and put off the flame.
- In another pan heat 3 tsp ghee and fry cashew nut and raisins. Add the fried cashew nuts and raisins to the payasam.
Serve Mathanga Payasam hot or cold.